[O] Feature request for ox.el: add input-buffer attribute to INFO list

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: [O] Feature request for ox.el: add input-buffer attribute to INFO list
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 13:42:37 +0100

Hi List,

in ox.el I find

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun org-export--get-buffer-attributes ()
  "Return properties related to buffer attributes, as a plist."
  ;; Store full path of input file name, or nil.  For internal use.
  (list :input-file (buffer-file-name (buffer-base-buffer))))
#+end_src

and consequently :input-file is nil if I export a buffer without an
associated file (what I do quite often for some reason).

Wouldn't it make sense to call this attribute :input-buffer-or-file or
so and store 'full path of input file name' if there is an associated
file, and the buffer name otherwise (instead of just nil)?

Obviously, this extra information did not seem useful for the default
use case of the Org exporter so it wasn't included in the communication
channel. However, for other use cases it might be necessary to e.g. tag
headlines with a unique ID of the original parse-tree they belonged to,
and using the input-file (or input-buffer) name when creating this unique
ID seems only logical.

--
cheers,
Thorsten