Re: [O] org-writers-room sort of works! just in time for NaNoWriMo

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] org-writers-room sort of works! just in time for NaNoWriMo
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 10:12:33 -0400

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> wrote:

> Matt Price writes:
>
>> I have just pushed a more-or-less-working version of my "Org Writer's
>> Room" mode to github:
>>
> <SNIP>
>> PS, the readme on github is a little out of date, but the code itself
>> is mostly documented so I hope that helps.  Though there's no general
>> documentation at the top of the file -- oops, sorry.
>
> Hi Matt,
> Looks very promising. My first look at it and the middle "column"
> doesn't preserve visual line mode. I have taken to using this a lot
> since it is much easier to interact with non-emacs/org-mode users.

Do you load visual line mode automatically when you load org-mode?  if
not it will definitely be broken, as I have to manually set the major
and minor modes on the new buffers (if I don't do that, all indirect
buffers will have the same modes as the parent buffer, which I don't
want).  I bet there's a way to record all the minor modes in a buffer,
then reload them in the indirect buffer, but I don't know it.  Does
anyone else out there?

> I'll put it through some more testing in the next day or so.
>
> Also would like your ideas on useful properties. I have 'edition' and
> 'status' (review, in-progress, draft, submitted, final). I know you are
> aiming at fiction, but I'm sure your ideas would be welcome.

I'm only sort of aiming at fiction as I don't really write fiction, so
I think "status" is great.  I'm not so sure about "edition" -- when
would you use that, do you think?  You may have noticed in any case
that org-writers-room-properties is a defcustom, so it an be tweaked
by hand if you think your use case is uncommon.

I'm sure you will find lots more bugs -- the mode isn't very
well-constructed, and in particular it doesn't dismantle itself very
well -- really it should remember the existing window arrangement and
restore it when it quits...

Please feel free to hack away at it!