Re: [O] Arbitrary lisp functions in column-attributes

From: Mark Edgington
Subject: Re: [O] Arbitrary lisp functions in column-attributes
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:41:13 -0400

Hello all,

Since the formatting on my earlier post was bad, I'm re-posting this
with a bit more information:

I would really appreciate it if it were possible to specify an
arbitrary lisp function to process node-properties when creating a
column view.  Currently it is possible to have something like:

* Top node for columns view
   :PROPERTIES:
   :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %TAGS %PRIORITY %TODO
   :END:

But I'd like to be able to do something like:

   :COLUMNS: %ITEM{fn:process_item}(My Column Heading Name) %TAGS
%PRIORITY %TODO

which would pass the ITEM property's value as a single argument to the
process_item function.  The returned value/string of the function
would be what appears in the column view.

Of course one should also be able to use a lambda expression in place
of the function name.

Does this sound like something worth working on?  I would certainly
have various uses for such functionality, so I imagine it would be
useful to others as well.

I understand that there is the org-collector module, but this isn't
quite sufficient. Although it permits arbitrary lisp expressions, it
doesn't allow one to customize what's printed for the column-headers,
like a normal columnview block would allow.

Regards,

Mark