Re: [O] [RFC] Slight change to asynchronous export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Slight change to asynchronous export
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:04:18 +0100

Hello,

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> At the moment, by default, external emacs process for asynchronous
>> export is called with:
>>
>>   /path/to/emacs -Q --batch -l org-export-async-init-file ... export stuff...
>>
>> where `org-export-async-init-file' defaults to `user-init-file'. It is,
>> by default, not the same as calling "emacs", because of the "-Q".
>>
>> I suggest allowing a nil (default) value for
>> `org-export-async-init-file'. In that case, the command will become:
>>
>>   /path/to/emacs --batch ... export stuff...
>>
>> If it is a file, it will be the same as before.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> IIUC, the default `user-init-file' still gets read because you drop the `-Q'
> option. And you allow adding a supplementary configuration file for the export
> process.

With the proposed change, you get `user-init-file' and all site-lisp/
family, which is equivalent to a regular Emacs call.

Actually, by default, you only get `user-init-file'.

> Right?

Correct.

> The only drawback would be for people having a long .emacs config file (which
> takes a long time to load): they would experience a longer running time for
> the
> async export, but it's async, so they wouldn't mind much.

If you specify a specific config file, which is what
`org-export-async-init-file' suggests, the load time will be decreased.

> BTW, is there no possibility of doing the same with emacsclient (but with no
> visible buffer)?  That'd drop the startup time of Emacs. But, once again,
> that's not a problem per se, as it's async. It's for my own
> understanding.

No, that's not possible. Emacsclient runs in the same process as the
server: this is not asynchronous anymore. To convince yourself, try
spawning two clients from the same server, run (sleep-for 30) in one of
them and switch to the other one.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou