[O] org-tree-to-indirect-buffer: multiple buffers; buffer name containin

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] org-tree-to-indirect-buffer: multiple buffers; buffer name containing ID
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:54:50 +0200

Hi!

When someone uses the (very cool) feature
org-tree-to-indirect-buffer[1] with multiple indirect buffers in
parallel (using a prefix) instead of narrowing/widening to work -
which I very much plan to do more often[2] -, you end up with a
buffers like:

- myorgmode.org-1
- myorgmode.org-2
- myorgmode.org-3

This is not very satisfying to me because I tend to forget, which
sub-folder I can expect in myorgmode.org-2 ...

How about using IDs of the sub-tree headings (if found) in order to
name the buffer? In case someone is using custom IDs (like me), the
list would look like:

- myorgmode.org-1              (-> no ID found for this sub-heading)
- myorgmode.org-project-foobar              (-> :ID: project-foobar)
- myorgmode.org-2013-10-25-customerX  (-> :ID: 2013-10-25-customerX)

In case there is a similar issue somewhere else in Org-mode where a
condensed string is generated out of the heading line, this should
be a viable option instead of the ID as well.

I guess, this should be not that hard to implement and it brings
much more usability (differ the buffers according to their name) to
the user.

Thanks!

  1. http://orgmode.org/org.html#Global-and-local-cycling
  2. I found the feature yesterday via Emacs Org-mode menu item :-)
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github