Re: [O] Problem with automatic recursive adding of org-agenda-files

From: Tor Eriksson
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with automatic recursive adding of org-agenda-files
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:58:00 +0000

Nick, thanks for reposting and for your comment. Sorry, I mistakenly sent the e-mail to you instead of the list.

Just a further comment on this problem:

I have the impression that this behaviour of all files not being correctly added to the org-agenda-files started when I chose the option R[emove] file from org-agenda-files proposed by org. This occured when org tried to build the agenda but realised that one of the files named in org-agenda-files was not there. After that, it is my impression, the problems started.

I have knowingly not made any alteration to the emacs init sequence of my emacs.

Could there be something in the org code for agenda that spurs this behaviour?

How could I debug this?

/Tor

2013/10/24 Nick Dokos <address@hidden>

[I got a private reply from Tor Eriksson which was obviously meant for
the list, so I am taking the liberty of reposting it here.]

> Tor Eriksson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Eric, Nick, Nicolas, thanks for the feedback.
>
> I tried (setq org-agenda-files '("~/org/")) instead, but on my
> installation it only finds files in this particular dir, not files in
> subdirs to that dir (which is what I want as well).
>
> Now, I tried C-c C-c (in org mode) right on the _expression_ responsible
> for set org-agenda-files in my .emacs.d starterkit file (described in
> the earlier e-mail). To my surprise, this loads all the files into
> org-agenda-files correctly, including the file I renamed. Of course,
> if I now look in the agenda all my dates are there.
>
> However, when shuting off emacs and restarting it, it goes back to the
> old behaviour of loading all files except the newly renamed file. It
> is really strange.
>
> So, when starting from scratch via .emacs.d/starterkit, the file name
> of the new file fails to be set but all other file names are set
> correctly/pushed into org-agenda-files. When evaluating, with C-c C-c,
> the code in starterkit which loads the files to org-agenda-files, all
> files load correctly.
>
> Anyone having an explanation to this? If you have any suggestion for
> debugging please provide some short instruction, I am fairly good in
> programming in general but I am not super conversant with Emacs in
> particular.

I suspect you are somehow setting the variable again later in your
.emacs (or your custom file or ...), thereby overwriting its earlier
value. Or there is something going on with starterkit perhaps, but
somebody else will have to chime in here - I know nothing about
starterkit.

--
Nick