Re: [O] Drag images from Firefox to org-mode

From: Oleh
Subject: Re: [O] Drag images from Firefox to org-mode
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 20:26:22 +0200

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Rick Frankel <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2013-10-20 16:42, Nicolas Richard wrote:
>>
>> Oleh <address@hidden> writes:
>> This can be fixed with a platform-aware function that checks both the
>> clipboard and the cut-buffer.
>>
>> I suggest to ask for a string with (read-string "URL: " nil nil default),
>> offering the content of the clipboard/kill ring/selections as the DEFAULT.
>> I think it's better to be explicit when downloading content, and there
>> isn't much overhead in asking for a confirmation.
>

> Agreed. Downloading stuff to your local machine should require a
> confirmation step.

This is already in place.

>> This can be fixed by adding `org-download-max-filename-length`. When
>> it
>> overflows, just resort to `default-directory' and provide a
>> message/option to fix.
>>
>> I suggest that the right place for those files is as attachment, and
>> that's where customization should happen. The function choosing the
>> right place (i.e. org-download--dir) could be turned into a defvar or
>> defcustom which could then be set either to #'org-download--dir or
>> #'org-attach-dir.
>

> Agreed. Also, the current "fix" (two variable and three functions!) is
> overly complex.
Two variables can change independently in a meaningful way, giving
4 combinations with the possibility to alter just part of the setup on a file
local basis. Three functions specify the intent more clearly.

> I propose that their be three options in the
> defcustom:
> - 'org-attach-directory (the default)
> - user entered string
I don't get this one.

> - a function (which could be set to `org-download-dir')
This can be an option for `org-download-method'

>> By the way, which system doesn't allow for spaces in directory names?
>>
>> ISTR that MSDOS (except the latest versions) didn't allow spaces in
>> filenames :) Anyway, I tend to avoid spaces as much as I can in
>> filenames (including dirs)
>

> Also, sending files to external command/shell script for processing
> often breaks if you have spaces in paths due to quoting issue.
>

>> If you want the ability to create arbitrary output directories
>> based
>> on document context, the customization can be made to accept a
>> function (lambda) as a value, which could then return a directory
>> prefix.
>> This isn't an option for users with no elisp skills.
>>
>> It is an option if there are enough examples/built-ins that can be used.
>> e.g. message-send-mail-function can be customized in this way, its
>> docstring gives a list of meaningful values.
>

> Agreed.

There's still two functionality bits that I want to add:
local files and forwarding to default dnd handlers in the case it's
not an image.
But that can be added in later.
Please make the changes that you think are necessary and commit to org.

regards,
Oleh