Re: [O] odt export with 'header'

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] odt export with 'header'
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 14:08:06 +0200

Hi Christian,

thanks a lot for this.  It was definitely helpful.  Sorry, I did not get
back to this earlier.

I do have some issues with this, still -- see my inline comments below.

Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Andreas Leha writes:
>
>> I'd like to have a 'header' on the first page of a odt exported document
>
> Here is a fiddly way to do it. There may be easier and/or more correct
> ways. And perhaps the ODT exporter could use a preamble option like
> the HTML exporter has. But this should work, more or less.

I do not find this fiddly.  This really works as I would expect.  At
least, if I get past the issues below.

> The trick is to put your header in an actual header in the style
> template, a page header that will only be shown on the first page. This
> works because header contents are included with the page style. So try
> making a style template again:
>
> 1. Export your document and open in Open-/LibreOffice.
>
> 2. Modify the styles to your heart's content.  Hint: You may want to
>    make the Title and Subtitle styles hidden (Modify Paragraph Style >
>    Font Effects tab > check Hidden). Or you may skip this step for now
>    and come back later.

I'll come back later ....

> 3. Give the first page the page style OrgFirstPage.

Which I had to create new.  Is that intended?

> 4. Do Insert > Header > OrgFirstPage.
>
> 5. Put the content you want in the header,
>    inserting the appropriate fields:
>
> #+begin_example
>> ,----
>> | Some fixed text here                           +------------------+
>> |                                                | [Insert>Picture] |
>> |                                                +------------------+
>> |
>> |                                                     Some fixed text
>> |                                               [Insert>Field>Author]
>> |                                                Some more fixed text
>> |
>> |                                                 [Insert>Field>Date]
>> |
>> |                       [Insert>Field>Title]
>> |                         Some Subtitle
>> |
>> `----
> #+end_example

Field values do not behave, as I would like:
1. I do not get anything in the author field (and would like
   the #+AUTHOR value)
2. (The same happens for email)
3. The date always shows the current date, but I'd like to see
   the #+DATE: value.

> 6. Save the template.
>
> 7. Try exporting with the path to the template in ODT_STYLES_FILE.
>    (Actually, if you're going to include a logo or other picture, it
>    gets a little more involved. You will need to include both the path
>    to the template and the relative paths to "styles.xml" and the image
>    file inside it, as described in the manual.)

I haven't tried that yet.  But I will.

> 8. If you don't see your custom header in the exported document, you may
>    have to put the first page in OrgFirstPage style manually. (Not sure
>    how to make this happen automatically.)

It would be nice to have this happen somehow.

> 9. Following the header, you will still have the usual preamble with
>    title, date, and if you haven't turned it off, the authorname. If you
>    have made the Title and Subtitle styles hidden (step 2 above), they
>    will be invisible in print. If not, you will need to delete them
>    manually.
>
> Hope this helps?

It helps a lot already thanks so much!

If there is a possibility to get the fields automatically filled with
the orgmode values, then the only manual intervention (in therory)
should be to switch the first page into OrgFirstPage style.

Regards,
Andreas