[O] Slight l10n annoyances in Org, switching to Ubuntu 13.10

From: François Pinard
Subject: [O] Slight l10n annoyances in Org, switching to Ubuntu 13.10
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:47:37 -0400

Hi, my fellow Orgers.

I got annoyances in Org while switching to Ubuntu 13.10, and am sharing
there here, in case others would inherit them, to save them some time.
English users are not affected.

The following problems are not pertaining to Org per se, they just show
in there.  The strange thing is that these problems have been reported
years ago according to Google, and so, are apparently resurrecting.

- Under the Unity window manager (maybe GNOME as well, I did not try),
  dead keys for applying diacritics stop working.  One has to resort to
  the compose key or Emacs specific commands to type them.  The problem
  is partly alleviated by adding this line in Emacs:

     (require 'iso-transl)

  but not completely: for example, the cedilla still does not work.
  Everything seems to work fine in applications other than Emacs, or
  using other window managers (I only tried spectrwm).

- Within Org dates, the abbreviation of weekday is shown in English,
  while it used to be shown in French, which is appropriate in my case.
  Sebastien Vauban provided a solution:

     (setq system-time-locale (getenv "LANG"))

François

P.S. I still have that my browser preference is not obeyed anymore
despite I think I declared it, and will soon try to understand why.