Re: [O] using %(sexp) in capture templates

From: Mike McLean
Subject: Re: [O] using %(sexp) in capture templates
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 21:55:38 -0400

On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:51 PM, Manish <address@hidden> wrote:

i am trying to use %(org-mac-outlook-message-insert-selected) in a
capture template to create a todo entry from an email selected in
outlook on mac os x.  i was expecting that the function will get
executed when the template is called and enter a link to the email but
seems to return nothing.  the function works when used outside of
template.  any ideas how i can begin to debug this or if i should be
doing anything differently?

When I added the support for Outlook I matched the style and design of the existing Org mac message (for Mail). In particular org-mac-outlook-message-insert-selected does not return a value, it is designed to be called interactively and inserts a link at the current point in the current buffer. As such it would not work as a %() capture template.

Now on the other hand all org-mac-outlook-message-insert-selected does is ~(insert (org-mac-outlook-message-get-links "s"))~. I presume (though I haven't tested) that you could use the inner form ~(org-mac-outlook-message-get-links "s")~ in a %() sexp in a capture template.

Mike