Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 14:38:09 +0200

Brett Viren <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Brett,

>>   * TODO Subject <timestamp>             :emacs_ver:org_ver:org_module:
>> Emacs version ends up as a tag:
>>
>> * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
>
> Or, if I add an Org version:
>
>  * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:8.0.3:
>
> These bare numbers seem a bit too anonymous to me.  I think it's
> unlikely that Org will reach versions in the 20's anytime soon so
> collision won't happen for a while but eventually (hackers willing!) it
> will.
>
> So, I suggest simply qualifying the versions like:
>
>   * TODO  .....                                  :emacs_24.3:org_8.0.3:

>From the metadata retrieved from debbugs.gnu.org, we have just a list of
version strings. There is no indication about the meaning:

 (found_versions "24.3")

One could teach people to use also package names but mere version
numbers, but that's up to the package maintainer's will. So up to now
the strings provided by found_versions will be used as tags, until
there's a better rule for matching.

> I can also see a desire to list other software and their versions that
> might be implicated in the bug being reported.  Listing their bare
> versions as tags is, I think, obviously no good.  They could just
> include this info in an ad-hoc manner in the body of their report, but
> maybe it would be good to define a property to explicitly list them
> following the same <package>_<version> pattern of the tags.
>
>   * TODO  .....                                  :emacs_24.3:org_8.0.3:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :IMPLICATED_SOFTWARE: texlive_2012.20120611-5 beamer_3.10-2

The debbugs server returns also a list like

 (found
  (item
   (key . 24.3)
   (value)))

Maybe this could go the direction we want. Obviously, in this example
"key" should be Emacs, and "value" should be 24.3. Then we might also
get something like (if set properly by submitter or maintainer)

 (found
  (item
   (key . "emacs")
   (value . 24.3))
  (item
   (key . "org")
   (value . 8.0.3)))

The IMPLICATED_SOFTWARE property proposed by you could be derived from the

 (affects)

entry. But I haven't seen ever that somebody uses this attribute. It's
always empty, as shown in this example.

> -Brett.

Best regards, Michael.