Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 07:34:14 +0200

Hi Alan, Eric, Thomas, and others,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 06:01:57PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > address@hidden writes:
> >
> >> To me the best way to describe Org is: a programmable and dynamic
> >> plain-text note taking platform.
> >
> > I really like this description. Short, and to the point.
>
> but it's missing what for me is the key point which got me into org:
> time management!  So how about
>
>   a programmable and dynamic plain-text note taking time management platform
>
> but I'm sure somebody else will think something is missing and make
> this sentence even longer ;-)

I'm glad people seem to like it :).  Although I would refrain from
extending that particular sentence.  This is what was going through my
head:

1. What does an Org document look like?  It is primarily a text outline.
2. Is there more to the outline?  Well I can:
   - export it,
   - put metadata on it, like: timestamps, clocks, etc,
   - put TODO markers on it, ... and so on
3. What about the text (content)?  It is really just text, but supports
   a few nifty things.
   - Links to other documents, other applications, executable lisp, etc.
   - It also supports nifty formatting and structural markup.
   - Tables with a deceptively advanced math engine underneath to do
     spreadsheet tasks.
   - Source blocks, optionally which can be evaluated and can interact
     with other text content in the Org file: tables, other source
     blocks, etc.

But then I thought, "Hmm, I can't put all that."  So what is at the
core?  Outline with text, lets just call that notes.  And all the cool
features?  I can use special markup to add enhance the text, aggregate
and filter it, and present it in many ways; that is quite dynamic.  I
can also program it in pretty much any language.

Hence: Org is a programmable and dynamic note taking platform.

This still does not do justice, so lets put in supporting follow-up
sentences highlighting my favourite bits.

Hence my following sentence: All its features are essentially built on
this ability: planning & task management, authoring or publishing,
literate programming, and what not.

Now others can tack on a description for their favourite bit of Org as
supporting sentences.  Anyway, I thought clarifying my thoughts would
help improve the discussion.

Hope this helps,

:)

--