Re: [O] SCHEDULED property behavior not compatible with habits? Confused

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] SCHEDULED property behavior not compatible with habits? Confused: How to make this work? #orgmode
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 01:29:47 +0200

Dnia 2013-09-29, o godz. 02:21:55
Iannis Zannos <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):

> Hello,
>
> having tried out the "habits" module after studying the manual on
> TODOs and scheduling, I cannot make habits work. Reason:
>
> When I set the :SCHEDULED: property of a node with a repetition
> interval such as: <2013-09-27 Fri .+1d>, then changing the TODO
> status from TODO to DONE will
>
>    1. change the status back to TODO (so that the item stays
> scheduled for a next time)
>    2. change the date of SCHEDULED to one day after the date of
> completion of the task
>
> This is consistent with the description in the manual at 8.3.2
> Repeated tasks, and makes sense. However, it interferes with habits,
> because it changes the date from which the tracking of the habit
> repetition of the task is being tracked. This means that this node
> disappears from the habit display in the agenda. Also, it undoes the
> configured logging mechanism (for example, note+timestamp for DONE
> state.
>
> Am I overseeing something? Surely it must be my mistake. I saw habits
> at work in the chat of Sacha Chua with Bastien Guerry (
> http://sachachua.com/blog/2013/07/emacs-chat-sacha-chua-with-bastien-guerry/)
> and was quite impressed. But I could not repeat the same results as I
> saw on Sacha's screen.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Iannis Zannos

Tip 1: try setting org-habit-show-habits-only-for-today to nil (or
waiting until tomorrow;)).

Tip 2: it seems you mustn't track changes /into/ a TODO state, only
into DONE.  See note at the bottom here:
http://mbork.pl/2013-09-23_Automatic_insertion_of_habit_templates_%28en%29

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski