[O] Exploring data that is in org-mode format

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: [O] Exploring data that is in org-mode format
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:18:15 +0200

Hello,

This question is slightly off-topic, but it may be of interest to people
who have a lot of data entered in org-mode.

The short version: what tools are available to explore data, typically
stored in org-mode tables?

The long version: I've tried an interesting website
(https://tictrac.com/) whose goal is to gain some insight about
ourselves by exploring some data we collect (think quantified self). I'm
not happy with this site for three reasons:
- I need to send it the data;
- it focuses on health / activity data whereas there is much more that
interests me (I for instance have weekly records of natural gas use in my
gas-heated house and daily record of temperature average outside which I
would love to compare);
- it won't let you input arbitrary data (I asked about importing a CSV
of my daily coffee consumption, they answered they require an external
service to integrate the data).

So I collect all this data because it's something I enjoy doing, and I
would really like to explore it, from the comfortable position of my own
computer. All of this data is in org-mode tables (or can be easily
converted to org-mode table). Hence my questions: are there tools you
would recommend? I'm not afraid of programming (I suspect an answer will
be 'R'), but I would like pointers to tutorials to do these kind of
things. The kind of things I would like to do are:
- extract weekly or monthly tallies or estimation from data collected at
irregular intervals;
- compare data sources against each other;
- estimate future trends based on past data (how much will my gas bill be?);
- display the result in some kind of dashboard.

Thanks a lot,

Alan