Re: [O] Spurious exporting of text before first header

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Spurious exporting of text before first header
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 11:03:14 -0400

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> Hi François,

Hello, Sebastien! :-)

>> [...] if I have text and other contents prior to the first header of
>> a file, those contents are indeed exported, while I would prefer not.
>> [...] I have hundreds of Org files and for them all, have some
>> personal conventions for their format and structure. [...}

> If you like text without initial heading in the exported file, but don't mind
> adding an heading in the Org buffer, you could add this:
> * Initial text                             :ignoreheading:
> and get what you want in the exported file.

I might have no other choice, but it would be sad.  As I said, I have
hundreds of Org files, all carefully crafted, rather nice to my eyes,
most of them using initial text for useful and special purpose.  Adding
an initial header everywhere would disrupt this nicety, for the sole
purpose of getting around what I consider to be an Org bug, or
limitation, or lack of happiness, depending on how you want to call it!

The spirit behind :export: is that it marks exactly what is going to be
exported.  This implies, in my understanding, that everything else does
not get exported.  If the lines prior to the first header are exported
whenever there is an :export: tag somewhere, it goes against the spirit
and intent of :export: in my opinion.

François