Re: [O] [Babel] Padlines

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [Babel] Padlines
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 15:26:42 -0600

"Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Schulte wrote:
>> aditya siram <address@hidden> writes:
>>> What's the rationale for having padlines by default in tangled source? It
>>> generates wrong programs for languages where whitespace is significant
>>> (Haskell) and, for me, doesn't noticeably improve the look of the tangled
>>> file in cases where it isn't.
>>
>> It is possible to change the value of default header arguments on a
>> per-language basis because e.g., while (:padlines "yes") may make sense
>> for sh, it probably doesn't for Haskell.
>
> Could it be possible that ":padline yes" does not insert a blank line in front
> of the very first block, only *between* all blocks?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

I just pushed up a commit which implements this behavior.  See the
attached file for an example.

#+Title: Examples with the new padline behavior

#+headers: :tangle pad-yes-with-shebang.sed
#+headers: :shebang "#!/bin/sed -f"
#+headers: :padline "yes"
#+begin_src sed
  1 {N;s/\n//1}
#+end_src

#+headers: :tangle pad-no-with-shebang.sed
#+headers: :shebang "#!/bin/sed -f"
#+headers: :padline "no"
#+begin_src sed
  1 {N;s/\n//1}
#+end_src

#+headers: :tangle pad-yes-without-shebang.sed
#+headers: :padline "yes"
#+begin_src sed
  1 {N;s/\n//1}
#+end_src

#+headers: :tangle pad-no-without-shebang.sed
#+headers: :padline "no"
#+begin_src sed
  1 {N;s/\n//1}
#+end_src

1. Tangle the above four blocks with =C-c C-v t=.
2. Execute the following code block to view the contents of the
   resulting sed files.

#+begin_src sh :results scalar
  head pad*sed
#+end_src