Re: [O] M-x fill-region equivalent for lists?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] M-x fill-region equivalent for lists?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:54:24 +0100

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Sort of. Screenshots attached:
> - as-is.png is the text from my initial email just yanked into Emacs
>
> - uneven-start.png is the result of `M-x fill-paragraph` on that text
>
> - even-start.png is the result of `M-x fill-paragraph` on the text if
> I make sure the start of every line is justified with two spaces, as
> it would if I'd been writing that full line directly in an Org list
> item and then deleted/shortened some of the lines.
>
> - default.org is me taking the original yanked text and arranging it
> all on one line, then pressing space at the end of the line.
>
> So... if the start of the lines in an item aren't even, you get an
> uneven fill,

Yes, this is as expected, based on fill-paragraph's algorithm for what
to fill and how to define the fill prefix.

> and in both cases, the right ragged edge is more ragged
> than Org would have done on it's own.

Yes, this is true.  Happens to me as well.  The filling is different
when using auto-fill and writing as compared with fill-paragraph
afterwards.  I have never used fill-region so cannot compare.

> I didn't know about this
> function and have just always used fill-region (not sure why!), so
> thanks for suggesting it, as it's definitely getting things close.

One step at a time... ;-)  Filling appears to be a somewhat stochastic
process although I'm sure it isn't!

Having said this, I have now moved completely to org-indent with
visual-line-mode and I no longer need to fill anything, when in org mode
as opposed to message mode like this email...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.1.1-7-gaecdf5