Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:36:39 +0530

> When depth isn't involved

When I am within a nested list (any arbitray position) and I C-down what
should happen?

When I am on an headline and I C-down, I find it disconcerting that
cursor takes a far jump.

There are specialized commands to jump between headlines and I don't
want a 'paragraph' motion command to do anything fancy.  I would much
prefer that the paragraph motion commands be really dumbed down.

I really wouldn't mind if paragraph motion commands lands /within/ a src
block or I will be surprised if a table, IRL, is not guarded on either
sides by blank lines.  In the few years, that I have been on this list
not a single complained that his cursor ended up within a src block.

I think sexp motion commands - for example, C-M-d - can help me
precisely move in to the inner sexps with little thought.  This could be
useful when I want to surgically move - thinkg, tree traversal - within
nested lists (or nested structure) but with little effort.

Bottomline: It is difficult to unlearn.  But easier to learn.

So, don't "overload" existing paragraph motion commands.

Instead, introduce sexp motion and mimic what emacs-lisp-mode does.  Try
C-down while within a defun and see what happens.