Re: [O] [PARSER] Why not add properties to type 'org-data'?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [PARSER] Why not add properties to type 'org-data'?
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 11:28:46 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But sometimes, when only the parse-tree is needed, not the exporter
>> framework, it would indeed be useful if that highest level element the
>> others refer to as parent (org-data) would have some kind of unique
>> name/id.
>>
>> What would be the cost of introducing just one single unique attribute
>> like:
>>
>> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | (org-data (:input-file /my/file.org) (section (:begin 1 :end 52 ...)))
>> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> or
>>
>> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | (org-data (:ID 08AF34b12) (section (:begin 1 :end 52 ...)))
>> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> to make different parse trees distinguishable (and associated to the
>> parsed file)?
>
> There is no real cost in this case. Though, note that :input-file would
> not make for a unique identifier.

Yes, :input-file plus (exact) :date would probably do the job as unique
identifier(s).

> On the other hand, what prevents you, once you have the parse tree, from
> tagging it with all the attributes you need?

Nothing really, I just thought that the space after 'org-data' is a bit
wasted and that it would be generally usefull to put some unique
'parse-tree-id' there instead of just nil.

But it may be better to keep the core functionality as clean and simple
as possible and add this kind of info later on if necessary.

--
cheers,
Thorsten