Re: [O] syntax for blocks that the exporter should not render?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] syntax for blocks that the exporter should not render?
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 13:57:19 +0200

On Sep 5, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carsten,

>>> Because this isn't valid Org syntax, so it is treated as regular text
>>> (i.e. a paragraph). Something similar happens for unbalanced blocks:
>>
>> So in a way this is a "syntax error" message. :)
>>
>> OK, I get that point.  Is that behaviour documented?
>
> I think it is more of a "I don't recognise this as special syntax; it
> must be text".  In that case, I'm not sure what can be documented, one
> can have infinitely many text blurbs which look very similar to valid
> Org syntax but isn't.
>
> I have noticed quite a few posts on the list with this kind of
> misunderstanding.  I think the confusion arises from thinking of special
> keywords like "#+options:", "#+attr_latex:", etc as comments.  AFAIU,
> they are not.  Lines starting with "#+" are possible keywords, whereas
> lines starting with "# " are comments.

Yes, and I just checked what we have in the manual:

Lines starting with zero or more whitespace characters followed by one
@samp{#} and a whitespace are treated as comments and will never be exported.

So indeed, the white space after the # is in the manual.  I had forgotten about
this.

> I can see how that can be confusing, but can't think of a way to resolve
> this.  I have two possibilities in mind:
> 1. change "# " to something more distict like: "//", or "##",
> 2. use different faces for the two.

Another way to do this would be that every line starting with "#" (no space) is
a comment line, except when it is starting with "#+".  This was how I used to
think about lines starting with "#".  BUt it is not bad the way it is now - we
just need to be aware and tell people - we just did.

Thanks

- Carsten