Re: [O] org-mode upgrade and PDF export

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode upgrade and PDF export
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 21:31:22 -0500

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM, adam <address@hidden> wrote:
> The system here is; Ubuntu 12.04LTS, Emacs 23.3.1,
> Org-mode version 6.33x
>
> 1)
> Emacs with Org was recently installed via the Ubuntu Software Centre.
> If the Org version here is 6.33x, and Org is now version 8, then I feel
> I should upgrade Org.
>
> The Org Manual http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html lists 3
> ways to install a new version, but no suggestions how to remove the
> older version. I can't find an Org 6.3 package in Synaptic to remove.
> That section warns against have two different versions present.
>
> So, I guess it would be best for me to use the first method,
> "Downloading Org as an archive", and to simply include its load-path
> in my .emacs.

Correct. You don't have to remove the Org-mode that comes with Emacs
via Ubuntu. You just need to download the new archive (or clone with
git) and have that in your load path. My setup as the first lines in
.emacs:

;; set load paths
;; set load dirs and global config options
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp")

Replace "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp" with wherever you unzip or untar the
archive to if you go that route. Just make sure it points to the lisp
folder inside the top level folder.

> 2)
> In attempting to publish a sub-section to a PDF, I find I need a
> pdflatex component and a texi2dvi script.
> This is referred to Section 8 here;
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html
>
> I cannot find pdflatex or texi2dvi in Synaptic, so should I look
> via apt-get, or are they part of a larger package available to me?

pdflatex and texi2dvi are provided by a TeX/LaTeX distribution; they
are not packages themselves. TexLive is the way most Linux users roll
from my experience and reading on the web when I went to install. See
this for help:
- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LaTeX

>From that article, looks like they may recommend installing directly
from TexLive vs. using the Ubuntu package. I used to use Arch Linux's
package and then got burned by the annual upgrade as the location of
files changes sometimes from year to year and you can end up with a
borked system since the package will put LaTeX install files all
around your system (/usr/lib, /etc, /usr/local, ...). Now I choose to
install by hand via the tl-install script and structure it like this:
- System files: ~/.texlive/YYYY (as of now, I have ~/.texlive/2012)
- Local stuff: ~/.texlive/texmf-local

You can set those quite easily during the tl-install procedure (I
chose `tl-install -gui text`). You just change the main TEXDIR option
to point where you want it to go. I changed it from
/usr/local/texlive/2012 to /home/username/.texlive/2012 and then
changed TEXMFLOCAL to /home/username/.texlive/texmf-local.

I'm not sure if I customized TEXMFHOME. I don't think I use it and
don't have a ~/texmf directory, nor, from looking at my directory
structure, something like it inside of one of the other two.

Hope that helps!
John