[O] Problem with special characters in dired and attachment paths

From: Martin Beck
Subject: [O] Problem with special characters in dired and attachment paths
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:42:59 +0200 (CEST)

I'm having problems with special characters like äöü in dired mode and in attachment paths:

1) When I'm trying to access a directory with M-x dired, the displayed path contains strange characters like e.g. "\374" for "ü" or "\366" for "ö".
Same is true for directory and file listings displayed by dired.

Is there a setting which can make dired display the characters with the correct encoding?

2) my other problem seems to be related:
I currently added a long server path as attachment directory in org-mode, like
//servername/dir1/dir2/dir2/dir4/etcetera/Zubehör/
(I usually copy the UNC path in Windows 7 Explorer with the PathCopy context menu)

The path is shown like that in :ATTACH_DIR: in the properties with the "ö" correctly displayed.
When I type C-c C-a C-f to open the directory in Windows Explorer, it creates a new directory at the same path called Zubehör which is opened instead of the right one.

How can I solve those 2 problems?

Kind regards

Martin