Re: [O] WISH: SQL on org-mode tables

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] WISH: SQL on org-mode tables
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:29:34 +0800

Marc Ihm <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, would like this too !
> (But do not know, how to achieve this ...)
>
> I think that simplifying the task of storing data in org-tables would allow
> many interesting org-applications to be implemented more easily.
>
> And thanks for pointing at cvsql;
> will have a look.
>
> best regards,
> Marc
>
> Am 18.08.2013 16:06, schrieb Johan W. Klüwer:
>> I wish it were possible to execute SQL on tables in org-mode
>> buffers. Filtering rows and columns, joining values across named
>> tables, and so forth could be done with SQL in the org-table SEND
>> clauses.

I tend to think that the solution here involves using the right tools
for the right job. Not everything has to be in Org mode! (Though I feel
a little hypocritical claiming that.) It works so well with external
tools, why not use them?

My rule of thumb is that once a table becomes more about _data storage_
than it does about _data display_ -- ie I'm unlikely to actually examine
or export the table contents -- I try to put it in an external database,
sqlite works just fine. Between orgtable-sqlinsert to go from org table
to database, and babel to query the database, all the tools are there.
Org is just "glue", which is something it does very well.

Eric