[O] orgmode tables for programmers (was table export to same buffer)

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: [O] orgmode tables for programmers (was table export to same buffer)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:54:04 +0530

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM, William Henney <address@hidden> wrote:

The template is not strictly necessary - you can just add the required lines by hand to your C source file.
I think that orgtbl-to-generic should be able to do what you want out of the box.  Maybe the attached example (orgtbl-test.c) might help you.  The idea is that you edit the org table at the top, then "C-u C-u C-c C-c" will update all the formulae in the table and install the results in your C source code at the bottom.  This is not quite what you originally asked for, since you have two copies of the data in the file and you have to remember to only edit the version in the org table.  But it is pretty close.

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will.
Ive converted your code to python (attached).
I find it works in org 8 but not in 6.33 -- the default for emacs on debian.
Is it easy to make it work for earlier org also??

Reason: This question was asked on the python list: thread starting
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-July/653164.html
And so it would be good to have an example that works mostly out of the box