Re: [O] org-speed-commands-default 1 2 3

From: Oleh
Subject: Re: [O] org-speed-commands-default 1 2 3
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:02:40 +0200

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 23.7.2013, at 15:48, Oleh <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've recently started using `org-use-speed-commands', and I like it a lot,
>> except I had to make one tweak:
>>
>>    (setq org-use-speed-commands t)
>>    (setq org-speed-commands-user
>>          '(("1" . (org-shifttab 1))
>>            ("2" . (org-shifttab 2))
>>            ("3" . (org-shifttab 3))))
>>
>> The corresponding values of `org-speed-commands-default' aren't that useful
>> for GTD:
>>
>>    ("1" org-priority 65)
>>    ("2" org-priority 66)
>>    ("3" org-priority 67)
>
> That depends on wether you work with priorities.  I find S-TAB easy enough,
> so I do not
> really see the need for speed commands here.

Maybe I should elaborate my point of view on the usability.
Priorities don't normally need "buttons" to jump between states,
a "knob" is enough: only increase/decrease priority, not jump to priority 1,
jump to priority 2 etc.

Outlines, on the other hand, can benefit from the ability to jump between
the levels of expansion.

Level 1 is very useful - it minimizes everything, showing the
structure of the file. S-TAB is useful and simple, but you have to
repeat several times,
checking each time if it has brought you to the level that you wanted to be on.

Level 2 is very useful - and cannot, unlike Level 1, be reached by S-TAB.
For my gtd.org, it shows the tasks and appointments, without expanding
them, as well as the project names, but not what they contain.
This gives a nice overview of my projects.

Level 3 is very useful - and cannot be reached by S-TAB.
It shows me the separate TODOs for my projects, without revealing my
notes on them, just the headings.
I even bound the rest of the digits to levels and it is useful sometimes.

In my opinion, these shortcuts make org-mode a better outlining tool,
and should be given priority before the priority shortcuts.

Slightly off-topic, these type of shortcuts is why I use Ubuntu Unity (I think
I managed to turn off the spying). It's got a feature that Super+1-9
switches between applications in the sidebar slots 1-9. Sure, it's
possible to do with Alt-TAB, and that's what most other desktops do,
but Super+1-9 is superior, since you don't have to wait for feedback,
you instantly get what you want.

regards,
Oleh