Re: [O] Very slow performance in Org-mode on 10k line file?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Very slow performance in Org-mode on 10k line file?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 18:02:19 -0500

Alrighty. Here you are:

#+begin_src minimal emacs (which I've moved to ~/.emacs) and started a
fresh session
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
#+end_src

Really simple operation, but that's that had huge lag on the 10k file.
All I did was delete a word and re-write it, and then insert a line
above a table ("#+attr_latex: :align llp{7cm}"). Here's the process:

- Start emacs (/usr/bin/emacs)
- Navigate to file (6k ~/org/projects.org file)
- Run: M-x elp-instrument-package [RET] org
- Run: M-x elp-reset-all
- Navigate to the headline I was trying to work on, delete a word a
character at a time, re-type it, add the above latex line above a
table
- Run: M-x elp-results
- Copied 2011 and 2012 journal entries back into projects.org, saved,
quit emacs, and repeated

Results with 6k line file
==========
org-self-insert-command                             41
2.026747151   0.0494328573
org-activate-dates                                  54
0.0175029940  0.0003241295
org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks                   161
0.006726777   4.178...e-05
org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks-1                 161
0.0047893350  2.974...e-05
org-delete-backward-char                            12
0.002401629   0.0002001357
org-activate-footnote-links                         54
0.002203194   4.079...e-05
org-activate-plain-links                            54
0.0020726379  3.838...e-05
org-unfontify-region                                54
0.0020696900  3.832...e-05
org-at-table-p                                      54
0.0016839339  3.118...e-05
org-footnote-next-reference-or-definition           54
0.0015487719  2.868...e-05
org-do-latex-and-related                            54
0.0014039899  2.599...e-05
org-do-emphasis-faces                               54
0.001028353   1.904...e-05
org-string-nw-p                                     54
0.0008700800  1.611...e-05
org-activate-angle-links                            54
0.0008193899  1.517...e-05
org-return                                          1
0.000758448   0.000758448
org-activate-tags                                   54
0.0005812419  1.076...e-05
org-in-item-p                                       1
0.000436519   0.000436519
org-activate-bracket-links                          54
0.0004324309  8.007...e-06
org-activate-code                                   54
0.000416118   7.705...e-06
org-fix-tags-on-the-fly                             53
0.000332257   6.269e-06
org-font-lock-add-priority-faces                    54
0.0003180110  5.889...e-06
org-string-match-p                                  54
0.000269684   4.994...e-06
org-remove-font-lock-display-properties             54
0.0002692999  4.987...e-06
org-list-context                                    1
0.000268703   0.000268703
org-hide-wide-columns                               54
0.000228154   4.225...e-06
org-before-change-function                          54
0.0001231199  2.279...e-06
org-remove-flyspell-overlays-in                     21
0.0001044190  4.972...e-06
org-font-lock-hook                                  54
8.081...e-05  1.496...e-06
org-check-before-invisible-edit                     53
7.8635e-05    1.483...e-06
org-activate-target-links                           54
7.542...e-05  1.396...e-06
org-fontify-entities                                54
6.752e-05     1.250...e-06
org-raise-scripts                                   54
6.415...e-05  1.188...e-06
org-font-lock-add-tag-faces                         54
5.994...e-05  1.110...e-06
org-in-src-block-p                                  1
5.1549e-05    5.1549e-05
org-in-regexp                                       1
3.4068e-05    3.4068e-05
org-back-to-heading                                 1
3.3785e-05    3.3785e-05
org-get-limited-outline-regexp                      1
2.1714e-05    2.1714e-05
org-at-heading-p                                    1
1.3884e-05    1.3884e-05
org-get-indentation                                 2
1.337...e-05  6.689...e-06
org-item-re                                         1
4.116e-06     4.116e-06
==========

Results with ~10k line file
==========
org-self-insert-command                             39
0.85596741    0.0219478823
org-cycle                                           6
0.107894177   0.0179823628
org-cycle-internal-local                            6
0.1058569380  0.0176428230
org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change         6
0.047916078   0.007986013
org-subtree-end-visible-p                           5
0.046233295   0.009246659
org-end-of-subtree                                  27
0.029686826   0.0010995120
org-outline-level                                   394
0.0162884779  4.134...e-05
org-cycle-show-empty-lines                          6
0.008189213   0.0013648688
org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks                   182
0.0078306620  4.302...e-05
org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks-1                 182
0.0057315880  3.149...e-05
org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees                    6
0.005463361   0.0009105601
org-delete-backward-char                            10
0.004027681   0.0004027681
org-activate-plain-links                            79
0.0035584700  4.504...e-05
org-activate-footnote-links                         78
0.0028586259  3.664...e-05
org-unfontify-region                                78
0.0024188670  3.101...e-05
org-do-emphasis-faces                               89
0.002085356   2.343...e-05
org-footnote-next-reference-or-definition           78
0.0020824370  2.669...e-05
org-do-latex-and-related                            78
0.0017855160  2.289...e-05
org-at-table-p                                      56
0.0016877709  3.013...e-05
org-activate-dates                                  106
0.0016536720  1.560...e-05
org-cycle-hide-drawers                              9
0.0016145939  0.0001793993
org-back-to-heading                                 432
0.0015116170  3.499...e-06
org-activate-angle-links                            78
0.001141598   1.463...e-05
org-string-nw-p                                     78
0.0011044000  1.415...e-05
org-activate-tags                                   81
0.0009928790  1.225...e-05
org-return                                          1
0.000793986   0.000793986
org-activate-code                                   78
0.0006506530  8.341...e-06
org-activate-bracket-links                          78
0.00060669    7.778...e-06
org-font-lock-add-priority-faces                    78
0.0004675280  5.993...e-06
org-in-item-p                                       1
0.00044091    0.00044091
org-at-item-p                                       21
0.0004120960  1.962...e-05
org-hide-archived-subtrees                          5
0.0004082699  8.165...e-05
org-string-match-p                                  78
0.0003752040  4.810...e-06
org-remove-font-lock-display-properties             78
0.0003220950  4.129...e-06
org-fix-tags-on-the-fly                             49
0.0003208529  6.548...e-06
org-flag-drawer                                     7
0.0003203140  4.575...e-05
org-hide-wide-columns                               78
0.0002948089  3.779...e-06
org-show-entry                                      3
0.000274877   9.162...e-05
org-list-context                                    1
0.0002685     0.0002685
org-before-first-heading-p                          11
0.0002303880  2.094...e-05
org-hide-block-toggle-maybe                         6
0.0002303300  3.838...e-05
org-cycle-item-indentation                          6
0.0002270370  3.78395e-05
org-remove-flyspell-overlays-in                     53
0.0002091870  3.946...e-06
org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe                  6
0.000174206   2.903...e-05
org-get-level-face                                  162
0.0001498009  9.246...e-07
org-before-change-function                          50
0.0001198120  2.396...e-06
org-fontify-entities                                78
0.0001098809  1.408...e-06
org-cycle-level                                     6
0.0001042630  1.737...e-05
org-activate-target-links                           78
0.000101329   1.299...e-06
org-font-lock-hook                                  78
0.0001005800  1.289...e-06
org-flag-subtree                                    1
9.9225e-05    9.9225e-05
org-in-src-block-p                                  2
8.5134e-05    4.2567e-05
org-font-lock-add-tag-faces                         78
8.087...e-05  1.036...e-06
org-item-re                                         23
8.068...e-05  3.508...e-06
org-raise-scripts                                   78
7.867...e-05  1.008...e-06
org-list-search-forward                             1
7.5083e-05    7.5083e-05
org-check-before-invisible-edit                     49
7.2543e-05    1.480...e-06
org-list-search-generic                             1
6.0865e-05    6.0865e-05
org-at-heading-p                                    8
5.9246e-05    7.40575e-06
org-get-limited-outline-regexp                      4
4.654...e-05  1.163...e-05
org-in-regexp                                       1
3.485e-05     3.485e-05
org-point-at-end-of-empty-headline                  6
3.2403e-05    5.4005e-06
org-babel-header-arg-expand                         6
2.753...e-05  4.589...e-06
org-get-indentation                                 2
1.3004e-05    6.502e-06
org-load-modules-maybe                              6
1.2065e-05    2.010...e-06
org-src-native-tab-command-maybe                    6
1.1753e-05    1.958...e-06
org-try-cdlatex-tab                                 6
1.1116e-05    1.852...e-06
org-cycle-hide-inline-tasks                         6
6.695e-06     1.115...e-06
==========

Yeah... and of course when you try to measure something, the problem
goes away. There was no lag at all in that second experiment, and I'm
baffled. RAM is still at about the same useage (25%) as when I was
experiencing this before, as is CPU usage. All I've done since then:
- Copy ~4k lines of headlines from projects.org into other files
- Git pull to change from my reverted early May commit to the current
master branch
- make clean && make && make doc, which is my standard update process
- Copy the 4k lines of files back into the file

No clue.

John