[O] Very slow performance in Org-mode on 10k line file?

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Very slow performance in Org-mode on 10k line file?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:25:19 -0500

Greetings,

I just started experiencing major lag in Org-mode on my main work
notes file, which is at about 10k lines. Is that getting up to the
point where files get unwieldy? In googling around, I found a few
suggestions:

- Fiddle with linum settings
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5229705/emacs-org-mode-turn-off-line-numbers

I set linum-eager to off and linum-delay to on for the current setting
via the customize interface and didn't perceive an effect. Any
keystroke in my org file takes 1-2 seconds to appear.

- Fontification?
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/45197

Comments there have files in the 5-137k line range and many say
there's no/little lag unless running agenda commands.

Any other suggestions? I use this file almost daily, mostly for
reference, not adding... that's to say it hasn't grown majorly in the
past even 3months (maybe a few hundred lines), but performance
*definitely* wasn't anything like this until the last week or so.

Thanks for any suggestions on improving or tracking down the source.
In the mean time, I'm going to revert to a few git commits ago and see
if that does anything for me.

Best regards,
John