Re: [O] three bugs/misfeatures in org-reveal (or is org-reveal the wrong

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] three bugs/misfeatures in org-reveal (or is org-reveal the wrong way to reveal around point?)
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 09:41:43 +0200

Hi Samuel,

Samuel Wales wrote:
> I hope a kind soul can comment here.
>
> For years I have been trying to make it so that you can go
> to Org from Magit and have it reveal the way I want.
>
> [All I want is what for me is a normal visibility state, which means a
> visibility state that can be recreated using only arrow keys and TAB.]
>
> Is org-reveal the wrong tool for this job?  Is there another tool that
> works better for it?
>
> The apparent bugs are in the comments below.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Samuel
>
> P.S.  I am also hoping for the same effect upon going from the Org
> agenda to the Org outline.
>
> ===
>
> (defadvice magit-visit-item (after org-visibility activate compile)
>   "Make going to Org from Magit reveal canonically."
>   (when (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
>     (alpha-org-reveal-canonically)))
>
> (defun alpha-org-reveal-canonically ()
>   "Reveal around point canonically.
>
> Canonical visibility means that the buffer is always in a
> visibility state that can be created solely by arrow keys + TAB.
>
> Thus, merely showing the next header without all of its siblings
> is not canonical.  Also, showing children without showing the
> parent's entry text is not canonical."
>   (interactive)
>
>   ;; bug 1: when point is in entry text, the first child of that
>   ;; entry shows, but its siblings (i.e. the other children) do
>   ;; not show, even though i have org-show-siblings and
>   ;; org-show-hierarchy-above both set to t.
>   ;;
>   ;; the entry text must show because point is in it.  and
>   ;; because it must show, so must all children.  how do i get it
>   ;; to do this?
>   ;;
>   ;; bug 2: when point is on the first child headline, its
>   ;; siblings show, but the entry text of its parent does not
>   ;; show.  how do i get it to show the parent's entry text?
>   ;;
>   ;; bug 3: org-reveal takes several seconds to run.  is there a
>   ;; way to speed it up?
>
>   (org-reveal t)
>   ;; (if ...)
>   ;; (show-entry)
>   )

Just a question: did you play with the following settings?

  ;; show full hierarchy when revealing a location
  (setq org-show-hierarchy-above t)

  ;; don't show following heading when revealing a location
  (setq org-show-following-heading nil)

  ;; don't show all sibling headings when revealing a location
  (setq org-show-siblings nil)

  ;; show the entry below a headline when revealing a location
  ;; (setq org-show-entry-below t)
  (setq org-show-entry-below '((org-goto . t)))

Do they impact or resolve some of the things you consider as bugs?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban