Re: [O] org-export-current-backend variable and org-mode 8

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-export-current-backend variable and org-mode 8
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 22:40:13 +0200

Hello,

Christophe Rhodes <address@hidden> writes:

> so that if (as I hope) org-export-current-backend makes a later
> reappearance, my documents can work with both org-mode 7 and 8, and
> maybe 9?  I'm hoping that the disappearance of the variable is an
> oversight rather than intentional :-/

It is intentional. I tried to reduce the number of dynamically scoped
variables.

On the other hand, hooks and filters all get back-end's name, if any, as
an argument, which limits the need for that variable. The only missing
part is Babel. I thought the recently introduced `by-backend' feature
was sufficient. Isn't it the case?

I also thought about reintroducing `org-export-current-backend', but
that would be redundant with hooks and filters' arguments. Removing
these is not an option either, as that would break every hook/filter in
the wild.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou