[O] Reading books with org-mode

From: Kyle Sexton
Subject: [O] Reading books with org-mode
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 15:24:28 -0500

Just wanted to share a tip I've been using that is pretty nice.  Convert
any epub/mobi technical books you are reading to org-mode files and read
them in Emacs.  Then you can do nice things like easily cut and paste
portions of the book to org-drill for flash cards or into capture
templates.

The conversion process is different for every book (imagine that), but
not too horrible.  Basically, Calibre -> htmlz -> unzip -> pandoc:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
$ cp ~/Calibre\ Library/Metz*/Practi*/*.htmlz ./book.htmlz
$ unzip -q book.htmlz
$ pandoc ./index.html -o book.org
#+END_EXAMPLE

After that I usually have to global convert [[image/foo.png]] to
[[file:image/foo.png]] and add inlineimages to a start-up option on the
file.

--
Kyle Sexton