Re: [O] Finding LAST copy of a given headline in a file

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Finding LAST copy of a given headline in a file
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:35:25 +0200

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 04:39:08PM -0700, Subhan Tindall wrote:
> Yes, you are correct, file+datetree does not do this.  A while ago I
> suggested a file+datetree+headline type function be added, but it was not
> received well.

I tend to agree with that.  Your case is a corner case I believe.  We
can't keep on adding features which are not used widely.  Specially
since file+function or function provides all the flexibility anyone
would ever want.

> I attempted a function for use with file+function, but couldn't get it
> quite working.

Can you provide your attempt?  Maybe then others can point out what you
might be doing wrong.

> I'm not quite sure how to use org-map-entries to find headlines?

Given a scope, it iterates over all headlines to find a match.  All the
matches are accumulated in a list and returned.  You have to provide
your matching function to org-map-entries.  Without putting much thought
into it, I would propose the following algorithm:

1. Call org-map-entries in the full buffer scope looking for the date
   you want.
2. Once you have the entry corresponding to the date, limit scope to
   subtree and call org-map-entries again, this time looking for the
   specific "Ticket" you want to add to.

Following (2), the template should be added as a sibling.

Hope this helps,

PS: Could you please not top-post.  It is difficult to follow threads if
    you do.

--
Suvayu