Re: [O] fill paragraph: math and latex environments

From: Paul Stansell
Subject: Re: [O] fill paragraph: math and latex environments
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 15:38:30 +0100

Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply.

> If we allow \[...\] constructs to be an element, they cannot be
> recognized as such within paragraphs. So
>
>   Some text \[1+1\] and some other text
>
> will not be recognized anymore, even though any latex editing mode
> supports it. Again, I think it's not worth loosing it.
>
> Also, using \begin{...}...\end{...} environments is not really an issue
> with editing facilities in Emacs (e.g., yasnippets).

I'm sorry, but I don't fully understand your explanation as I don't
know what you mean by an "element" in this context?

Also, am I missing something about the latex?  Do you want to be able
to use display style maths inside a sentence (ie. avoid placing the
maths on a new line but have it formatted in display style)?  That
would seem strange as that's not what it's for.  I don't, therefore,
see why anyone would want to write

  Some text \[1+1\] and some other text

as in the resulting processed document it will look like

  Some text
                     1+1
  and some other text

I think one should instead write

    Some text \(1+1\) and some other text

or

   Some text $1+1$ and some other text

which, in the processed document, will look like

    Some text 1+1 and some other text

If someone wants a display maths equation they could write it in their
org file as

  Some text
  \[
     1+1
  \]
   and some other text

so that the look of the org file resembles more closely that of the
processed document.

> Also, using \begin{...}...\end{...} environments is not really an issue
> with editing facilities in Emacs (e.g., yasnippets).

I agree with you there.  It's not a big deal type, but I do think

\[
1+1
\[

looks a lot nicer and cleaner in the org file than

\begin{displaymath}
1+1
\end{displaymath}

Kind regards,