[O] org-mode no longer picking up scheduled tasks when upgraded to 8.0.3

From: Paul Whipp
Subject: [O] org-mode no longer picking up scheduled tasks when upgraded to 8.0.3
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 09:07:06 +1000

I use org-mode all the time and find it invaluable. I recently upgraded my ubuntu environment to 13.04 and emacs 24.2.1 came with it. org-mode was working fine within it out of the box except it failed with "Symbol's function definition is void: org-defvaralias" when I restarted the machine this morning.

Not finding much on google I decided to upgrade org-mode to the latest release so I added
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)
(unless package-archive-contents    ;; Refresh the packages descriptions
  (package-refresh-contents))
(setq package-load-list '(all))     ;; List of packages to load
(unless (package-installed-p 'org)  ;; Make sure the Org package is
  (package-install 'org))           ;; installed, install it if not
(package-initialize)                ;; Initialize & Install Package

to my init as per http://orgmode.org/elpa.html#. This gave me org-version 8.0.3

Now my agenda is completely blank with no tasks displaying at all (they also fail to display in the other views).

A message "org-agenda-skip: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil" appears when I try to recalculate the agenda view.

I know that something is now failing in one of my org files because if I reset org-agenda-files to a simple test file it works. However, I have literally dozens of org files, some of which are many thousands of lines long because I use them for client documentation. They were working fine in the previous version of org-mode.

Another, possibly related issue is that when emacs opens and the agenda is calculated, the test file buffer is marked as changed when it is not changed.

Is there some way I can easily narrow down the issue or perhaps restore the robustness of the previous org-mode version?