Re: [O] face-at-point

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] face-at-point
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:32:21 -0400

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>>> "Nick" == Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > Eric Fraga has been prolific in providing solutions to these problems
>    > today. In addition to the client side solution ("Use v instead of t")
>    > which solves the problem on the recipient's side, he provided another
>    > solution (which I have used in the past, but I forgot all about it until
>    > I saw Eric's reply to your question in the gnus mailing list) that
>    > solves the problem on the sender's side: let gnus-dired-attach default
>    > to whatever it bloody well pleases - the attachment cookie it inserts in
>    > the mail you are composing is just text (until you hit C-c C-c and then
>    > it becomes a "real" attachment), so if the type is not to your liking,
>    > you can go ahead and edit it at will (I've stripped out parts of the
>    > cookie, so it won't be mistaken as a real attachment - I'm not sure
>    > how to quote it so that it won't be recognized):
>
>    > ... type="application/octet-stream" filename="~/Desktop/foo"
>    > disposition=attachment description=Hunoz>

>    > ... type="text/plain" filename="~/Desktop/foo"
>    > disposition=attachment description=Hunoz>
> yes I have seen his answer, problem with this approach: you have to know
> by heart which is hte correct type.
>
> I never can remember whether it is text/plain or plain/text
>
>  mml-attach-file gives you a list of options.

Ideally, the /etc/mime.types mapping will take care of things
automatically.  But this is a last-ditch opportunity to get it
right. You can always

        M-x grep RET plain /etc/mime.types RET

(or jpg, or jpeg, or pdf, or whatever) to verify the correct form.  Or
put it in a function and bind it to a key so you don't have to remember the
name of the file.

OTOH, if you send it out wrong, I now know how to open the attachment
correctly using Eric's other solution - the problem has almost vanished
and life is good...

--
Nick