Re: [O] Installation of Org 8

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Installation of Org 8
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:48:52 +0200

Hi Sabre Wolfy,

> <rant>
> Please can someone point me to instructions to install Org 8? I've
> downloaded the tar.gz file and searched and tried several sets of
> instructions. The 'build instructions' are no help. Neither are the ELPA
> instructions. I'm on Kubuntu 13.04. The default org-mode is 7.9.something.
> I've purged that. I've done make and make install all and sudo make install
> all. I'm not interested in installing and learning git.

You can download a tarball of the latest version via cgit on the
Org-side.  I think there's even a link on the front page.  For a set
of instructions different from the official documentation see for
instance this PKGBUILD

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/em/emacs-org-mode-git/PKGBUILD

Also, check org-version.  Mine says:
Org-mode version 8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-183-gca9937 @
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)

> The reason I want to try 8 is that the instructions here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html
>
> about including output from R in ORG format to make nice HTML tables is not
> working. I get a "BEGIN_SRC org" instead of "BEGIN_ORG" or something. I
> thought it would be best to trouble-shoot this using the latest Org.
> </rant>

BEGIN_SRC org would seem OK, no?  My emacs -q won't even recognize
BEGIN_ORG. . .  I think it's an old syntax, but I could be wrong.

Here's an example for doing an R table.

#+NAME: R-tbl
#+BEGIN_SRC R :exports results :rownames yes :colnames yes
 a <- runif(100)
 c <- "Quantiles of 100 random numbers"
 b <- data.frame(quantile(a))
 colnames(b) <- "my quantiles"
 round(b,3)
#+END_SRC

Click C-c C-c on the code and you will get table [[tbl]].

#+NAME: tbl
#+CAPTION: my table
#+RESULTS: R-tbl
|      | my quantiles |
|------+--------------|
|   0% |        0.017 |
|  25% |        0.196 |
|  50% |        0.378 |
|  75% |        0.659 |
| 100% |        0.988 |

Which outputs this html that looks like this.

http://image.bayimg.com/8e90d3d4ab568959c791011dab7064b222a47003.jpg

Finding an option to add numbers to your table captions is left to
you.

Oh, and feel free to update the Worg side given your new-gained
knowledge.

–Rasmus

--
There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.