Re: [O] [html] non-lists showing up as lists

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: Re: [O] [html] non-lists showing up as lists
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 14:29:17 +1000

On 03/06/13 12:17, Nick Dokos wrote:
Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> writes:

Indeed, an exercise which I have already done in the form of a lisp
function to catch the nasty little numbers at the beginning of lines.

For the earlier exporter, I used this to insert non-printing spaces,
export, then remove non-printing space. Far from elegant :-).

Wouldn't it be better to fix the file once and for all? After all, if
you do that and then paste it into the org file, then refilling is
*never* going to create the problem (assuming that there is no bug in
the filling code of course: if there is, then it has to get fixed.)

Yes, probably, but I implemented the other when there was also a problem with footnotes that looked like [1942]. I have hundreds of these in a normal file (legal case references) and so I needed to disable them at each export.

That problem doesn't exist now since Bastien kindly did a patch for org-footnote.el.

I may have misunderstood but I took the question to be the following: if
I get an arbitrary file from somewhere, and I want to make an org
document out of it, can I paste it in? The answer is "yes, but...":
there might be problems. Checking the file with a script shows the
problems, then you go in and fix them (by hand if necessary: four or
five instances of the problem in 60+ pages seems insignificant, assuming
that you *know* that the problem is there.)

That is only part of the problem. I'm pretty sure that the footnote example that we have been discussing did *not* come from a cut and paste file. But I don't know where it did come from. Samuel seemed to think that he had a filling problem.

In short, I don't know exactly what the problem is or if there is a single source.

I'm facing some serious deadlines right now, but when I get clear of the fog I will investigate further and report back, hoping to clarify the problem.

Thanks again for your time on this.

I still like the suggestion that there should be an option so that
lists cannot begin at the beginning of a line. Like Samuel earlier in
this thread, I always indent lists.

Who's to guarantee that the file you are pasting in does not have
indented dashes or numbers at the beginning of some lines? Wouldn't
that cause the same problem?

Yes, it does, but it's not a problem that I have ever seen. I probably will see it now on the next cut and paste :-).

Thanks again for all your time on this.

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:address@hidden