Re: [O] Expanded property drawers as per file option

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Expanded property drawers as per file option
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:09:04 +0200

* Feng Shu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

>> ,-------------------------------------
>> | (defun find-org-contracts ()
>> | (interactive)
>> | (find-file "/path/to/contracts.org")
>> | (show-all))
>> |
>> | M-x find-org-contracts
>> `-------------------------------------
>
> I use:
> #+STARTUP: showeverything

Those two methods result in expanded properties, yes.

However, I obviously was not precise enough to explain my
requirement which is more complicated than "showeverything".

I would like to have all headings folded when I open the file (as it
is now). Then I navigate to a heading of a person by using text
search or arrow keys and TAB (to expand hierarchies).

On the heading of the "target" person, I want TAB to expand also the
properties drawer, not only the content of the heading with
properties collapsed.

Example:

I start with contacts.org like this:

    * job
    * family

I go to "job" and expand using TAB:

    * job
      * Bob
      * Peter
      * Susan
    * family

After that, I navigate to "Peter" and press TAB once again to expand
the heading of Peter *and* its property drawer all together (only
for "Peter"):

    * job
      * Bob
      * Peter
        :PROPERTIES:
        :EMAIL: address@hidden
        :COMPANY: Acme
        :ADDRESS: Hiscity, hisstreet 42
        :END:

        - met him at conference XY in 2009
        - works in the field of foobar

      * Susan
    * family

The desired difference to my current situation is, that I do not
have to navigate on the PROPERTY line and press TAB to open the
drawer for email, company name, address, and so forth.

Usual behavior: PROPERTY drawer stays collapsed when its
corresponding heading gets expanded.

My wish: PROPERTY drawer gets collapsed when its corresponding
heading gets expanded.

I know that this is a very specific requirement and it spares me
only one positioning effort followed by TAB. However, for contacts
it would eliminate one annoyance for my work flow :-)

Thanks for your comments, thoughts, tipps!

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github