[O] Problem with org-insert-heading on multi-line items?

From: Tom Davey
Subject: [O] Problem with org-insert-heading on multi-line items?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 14:53:34 -0400

Hi folks,

I'm using Org 8.0.3 and Emacs 24.3.1.

I noticed with interest this note in the Org 8.0 release notes:

"When a list item has a checkbox, inserting a new item uses a checkbox
too."

I'm finding, however, that Org will in many cases insert a new
checkbox even if the current item has none. Specifically, invoking
org-insert-heading on the second or subsequent lines of a multi-line item
will create a new checkbox item every time, whether the current
item has a checkbox or not. To illustrate:

1. org-insert-heading invoked here creates a new plain item
2. org-insert-heading invoked on this second item does the same
3. However, org-insert-heading, invoked on the SECOND line of this
    creates a following checkbox item:
4. [ ]

However, invoking org-insert-heading on the first line of a multi-line
item creates new items of the correct type, checkbox or not. So it
seems like the first line is determinative.

May I ask if anybody else is seeing this behavior? Is it as designed?

Regards,
Tom Davey

--
Tom Davey