Re: [O] Minor problems with dvipng latex image preview

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Minor problems with dvipng latex image preview
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 15:21:00 +0200

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> ... I set:
>>>
>>> (setq org-export-latex-listings 'minted)
>>
>> You mean `org-latex-listings'.  `org-export-latex-listings' belongs to
>> the old export framework (like almost all variables with
>> "org-export-BACKEND-" prefix).
>>

> Yes, indeed.
>
>>> (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "minted"))
>>
>>> in which case, I end up with a \usepackage{minted} in the preview
>>> latex file.
>>
>> Use:
>>
>>   (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "minted" nil))
>>
>> to tell Org not to include the package for previewing snippets.
>>

> OK, that works - I didn't know about the three-element list
> form. Thanks!

The surprising part of that third element is that it is assumed to be
non-nil when missing (see `org-latex-packages-to-string').

> Perhaps the docstring for org-latex-listings should include
> the three-element list form, with a pointer to the
> org-latex-packages-alist doc for more details.

The docstring already contains two references to
`org-latex-packages-alist'.  Wouldn't suggesting to insert

  (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "minted" nil))

be confusing, since we don't provide a third element for "listings" and
"color" packages? Well, unless we provide the element for the three of
them (t for the first two, and nil for the last).

> There is also a (perhaps unlikely) scenario where this is not enough:
> previewing typeset code where I *want* to use minted:
>
> * Code
>
> \begin{minted}{c} printf("Hello world\n"); \end{minted}

In that case, I suggest to use `imagemagick' for the conversion, since
it relies on `org-latex-pdf-process' value (and is therefore
customizable).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou