Re: [O] [patch] ox-koma-letter.el: clean-up/semantic bug [4/4]

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [patch] ox-koma-letter.el: clean-up/semantic bug [4/4]
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 20:13:16 +0200

Viktor Rosenfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, this patch does break LCO files. Now, if you don't set
> AUTHOR or EMAIL in the letter the default options from the LaTeX
> exporter always overwrite the settings defined in LCO files.

This one is tough. . .

One could #+INCLUDE an org-file but that's not really a fair comment.

I'm not really sure how to progress.

1. One way would be do do a grep on the LCO files, but they might be
   in the TeX PATH which would vary over TeX systems and OSes.
2. Have people have empty AUTHOR and EMAIL if they've got the info in
   an LCO file, but this is not desirable.
   - Supply an optional filter to remove this info ex-post, but how
     would it know when to run?
3. Define some function to intelligently guess values based on
   content.
   1. Perhaps a TYPE variable.  So if TYPE is "business" or "causal"
      and I select business a list with business-defaults would be
      applied.  OTOH this might be too complicated to just writing a
      LCO files. . .
4. Revert the path.

What should be the standard?  I'm compelled to go with "work as the
LaTeX-backend", but it may not be optimal here if there's a need for
chaining email and name regularly.

> Rasmus, couldn't you just set the old `org-koma-letter-sender'
> option if you don't use LCO files?

Sure, I just thought it was inconsistent that the framework didn't use
the same keywords as other backends.  But consistent might lack for
good reasons.

For me the previous behavior was annoying since I usually don't set
AUTHOR and this didn't work nicely.

> Also, I agree that SENDER should have been called AUTHOR. It was a
> workaround because the LaTeX backend would ignore nil values for
> AUTHOR in derived backends (but not for EMAIL, so I kept this). This
> should now have been fixed.

OK.  So it's OK to switch to the AUTHOR keyword and just the default
is what we need to settle on?

–Rasmus

--
. . . Stallman was indeed the tallest possible mountain and by
standing on his shoulders you could see forever. . .