Re: [O] Customizing Org 8.0 Export

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: [O] Customizing Org 8.0 Export
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:29:09 -0400

On 05/21/2013 10:48 AM, John Hendy wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Scott Randby <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Yes, see the original exporter announcement:
>>>
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65574
>>>
>>> Section 3.0 calls out two methods of setting available backends. I'm
>>> guessing you are customizing org-export-backends vs (require 'ox-backend).
>>> Try requiring the backend and all associated variables will be there on
>>> startup.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Thanks for the solution.
>>
>> This is the second time in a row I've been referred to the original
>> exporter announcement. I'm sorry that my questions are so basic, but I
>> put off switching to 8.0 because my understanding of how org and Emacs
>> work is not very deep and I know little elisp. Once I have things set
>> up, I leave them alone and get to work. I'm very grateful to this list
>> for helping me figure out things that, in hindsight, are obvious.
>
> No problem, and I wouldn't say it was *that* obvious :) I found this
> document extremely helpful:
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html
>
> I also started (and should really update again/maintain!) this as a
> landing place for documenting other things as they come up:
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/ox-overview.html
>
> And have a blog post walking through setting things up here, if it helps:
> -
> http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html

Thanks for these links. I have been to the org-8.0.html page before, but
I only read part of it. If I would just read through all these nice
pages, then there would be no problem setting things up. But my approach
to Emacs and org is rather haphazard --- I pick up those things I need
and ignore all the rest. My init.el file is a sorry mess. One of these
days I'll go through everything methodically.

> Good luck! We're all learning here, so no worries on the mailing list.
> More things for Google to index for users stumbling on this after you!

Yes, this list is great. I've asked simple questions on other lists and
received nasty RTFM responses.