Re: [O] GFDL

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] GFDL
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 09:34:07 -0400

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> FMI, why is GNU GPL not applicable to the manual?

While I would have long to say, here, I rather censor myself, mostly.

I sometimes happen to think that the GDFL happened not so long after
Richard Stallman and I had a harsh and long dispute about the GNU tar
manual.  In short, I wanted to publish it, Richard wanted that I refrain
from doing so: he expected the manual to be a source of FSF revenue.
The GDFL wording opens the door to Richard's restrictions, while the
GPL, which I used, is more in the spirit of the remainder of the FSF.

GNU tar has it own set of technical difficulties, and I hope I've been
able to put it back on track so it became maintainable again.  But in
many non-technical ways, GNU tar has been an administrative nightmare.

François