Re: [O] emphasis is hard-coded in org-element

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] emphasis is hard-coded in org-element
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 01:41:45 +0200

Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> writes:

> Handling of emphasized text is hard-coded in org-element.el.

I think this is a feature.  It's been discussed a couple of times on
the list and I think Carsten argued that it should be possible to make
custom formats in the buffer; with export there'd be various ways such
as the infamous [[latex:type][link]].

(Links can export whatever however, although it is not a very
ecstatically pleasing solution).

> Wouldn't it be better if bold, underline, ... would all use the same
> parser and interpreter?  I don't see another option that would allow
> custom emphasize styles to be used with org-element.

I guess that's the compromise (mentioned above).  You can use the
emphasis-alist for something crazy if you so desire.  But I guess the
org syntax as defined by org-element is 'fixed'.  And that's probably
also OK.

–Rasmus

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?