Re: [O] using gnuplot's "splot" and "every" commands on org-mode table d

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] using gnuplot's "splot" and "every" commands on org-mode table data
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 14:39:54 -0600

Paul Stansell <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for your work on this.  I've tried your latest changes and I
> think they're a big improvement.
>
> I've attached another org-mode file for you to try.  It illustrates
> the use of double blank lines in the first table (called block_data)
> to inform gnuplot that there're two separate data sets in the single
> data file.  The first code block (gnuplot_1) plots these two data sets
> as red and green surfaces.  It's really nice that gnuplot can now be
> used in this way from within org-mode.
>
> One slight drawback, however, is that there still doesn't seem to be a
> way to specify missing values in the org table in the way they're
> frequently used by gnuplot.  An illustration of what I mean by this is
> given in the table block_data_missing in the attached org file.
> You'll see that I've inserted two '?' characters for missing z-values.
>  If you execute the second and third code blocks (gnuplot_2 and
> gnuplot_3) you'll see that neither give the desired result.

I see, I've change the `org-babel-gnuplot-quote-tsv-field' function so
that it will only wrap a value in double quotes if that value actually
needs these wraps (e.g., contains a quote or a space).

With this change your example 3 now works as expected (nice looking
plots by the way).

#+name: block_data_missing
| 1 | 1 |  2 |
| 1 | 2 |  5 |
| 1 | 3 | 10 |
|   |   |    |
| 2 | 1 |  5 |
| 2 | 2 | 10 |
| 2 | 3 | 13 |
|   |   |    |
| 3 | 1 | 10 |
| 3 | 2 |  ? |
| 3 | 3 | 18 |
|   |   |    |
|   |   |    |
| 1 | 1 | 12 |
| 1 | 2 | 15 |
| 1 | 3 | 20 |
|   |   |    |
| 2 | 1 | 15 |
| 2 | 2 | 18 |
| 2 | 3 | 23 |
|   |   |    |
| 3 | 1 |  ? |
| 3 | 2 | 23 |
| 3 | 3 | 28 |

#+name: gnuplot_3
#+begin_src gnuplot :var d=block_data_missing
  set ticslevel 0
  splot d index 0 u 1:2:3 w lp pt 6 ps 5, d index 1 u 1:2:3 w lp pt 6 ps 5
#+end_src
Are there any use cases which are still not addressed?

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte