Re: [O] ocaml babel no longer works?

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] ocaml babel no longer works?
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 11:49:44 +0200

Hello,

I'm resurrecting this old thread as I've made some progress but I
still have questions.

Eric Schulte writes:

>> The suggestion: instead of appending '"org-babel-ocaml-eoe";;' to the
>> code, how simply put ';;' (which will make sure everything is flushed)
>> then detect the toplevel is done by seeing the string '# ' at the
>> beginning of the line? Would there be an issue with the fact that this
>> line does not have a newline? If so, an alternative suggestion would be
>> to use the longer ';; "org-babel-ocaml-eoe";;' which makes sure the
>> phrase in the input won't interact with the marker.
>>

> You can customize the `org-babel-ocaml-eoe-output' and
> `org-babel-ocaml-eoe-indicator' variables so that they match the above.
> If this proves generally useful then I'd be happy to admit this change
> to the core.

I did this very tiny change and it makes interacting with the top-level
much nicer as one can forget putting ';;'. Here is a tiny diff, which I
can commit if you agree with the change. (As I've added other changes
while writing this email, I attach a proper patch as well for all the
changes.)

,----
| diff --git a/lisp/ob-ocaml.el b/lisp/ob-ocaml.el
| index 6a83908..e5ad447 100644
| --- a/lisp/ob-ocaml.el
| +++ b/lisp/ob-ocaml.el
| @@ -63,7 +63,7 @@
|                   (session org-babel-ocaml-eoe-output t full-body)
|                 (insert
|                  (concat
| -                 (org-babel-chomp
full-body)"\n"org-babel-ocaml-eoe-indicator))
`----

>> The second feature request: I want to use this for my ocaml lab classes
>> (I'm thinking of giving them an org file they have to complete by
>> writing the caml code). Could it be possible to have an option for the
>> full output of the compiler (and not just the result) to be printed? I
>> see it does it when it does not recognize the type of the output. So I
>> guess such an option would be applied to either
>> org-babel-ocaml-parse-output or the place where it's called.
>
> I would think adding a ":results verbatim" header argument would
> suffice, but perhaps this is not the case.

Unfortunately this does not seem to work. I've finally managed to
understand how the code work, and here is a patch to solve this. The
idea is that we do not trim the type information if verbatim is
specified.

,----
| @@ -74,10 +74,13 @@
|                                          (progn (setq out t) nil))))
|                                    (mapcar #'org-babel-trim (reverse
raw))))))))
|      (org-babel-reassemble-table
| -     (let ((raw (org-babel-trim clean)))
| -       (org-babel-result-cond (cdr (assoc :result-params params))
| -        ;; strip type information from output
| -        (if (string-match "= \\(.+\\)$" raw) (match-string 1 raw) raw)
| +     (let ((raw (org-babel-trim clean))
| +          (result-params (cdr (assoc :result-params params))))
| +       (org-babel-result-cond result-params
| +        ;; strip type information from output unless verbatim is specified
| +        (if (and (not (member "verbatim" result-params))
| +                 (string-match "= \\(.+\\)$" raw))
| +            (match-string 1 raw) raw)
|          (org-babel-ocaml-parse-output raw)))
|       (org-babel-pick-name
|        (cdr (assoc :colname-names params)) (cdr (assoc :colnames params)))
`----

Finally I found a bug with `org-babel-ocaml-parse-output': if the type
returned by the toplevel was something like "int -> int = <fun>", then
the matching against "int" would be triggered, and the conversion of
"<fun>" to an integer would result in "0". To solve this, I made the
regexp more precise as the value returned by the toplevel is:
(identifier | -) : type = value
where the identifier cannot have the ':' character.

Here is the corresponding diff:

,----
| @@ -113,7 +116,7 @@
|  (defun org-babel-ocaml-parse-output (output)
|    "Parse OUTPUT.
|  OUTPUT is string output from an ocaml process."
|      (cond
|       ((string-match (format regexp "string") output)
|        (org-babel-read (match-string 1 output)))
`----

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Alan