Re: [O] [Bug] org-startup-with-inline-images

From: Daimrod
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] org-startup-with-inline-images
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 19:28:28 +0200

Rick Frankel <address@hidden> writes:
Hello Rick,

> `org-startup-with-inline-images' is a customizable variable. The
> problem is that if an org file is visited in a non-graphics buffer (or
> batch), `org-display-inline-images' is called an throws an error
> ("Non-X frame used").
>
> This problem also occurs when e.g., `org-babel-after-execute-hook' is
> set to 'org-display-inline-images (which can be mitigated by not
> setting the hook in a non-x frame).
>
> Since the startup variable is a customization, and causes problems if
> not set programatically, IMHO, the best solution would be to wrap the
> `org-display-inline-images' function in a test so that is is a no-op
> on non graphic displays:
>
>   (defun org-display-inline-images (&optional include-linked refresh
> beg end)
>     "..."
>    (interactive "P")
>    (when (display-graphic-p)
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    [...])

Thanks for the report, I've attached a patch that fixes this problem (in
both `org-display-inline-images' and `org-preview-latex-fragment').
However I don't know if it is the right approach or if I should try to
narrow this to lower-level functions.

I know that `clear-image-cache' raise this error but I haven't tried to
see if it the only one. Should I try to look more at it and add a
`org-clear-image-cache' which will check if a graphic display is
available or is the current solution fine?

Regards,

Daimrod/Greg