Re: [O] org-blog 0.9 release

From: Michael Alan Dorman
Subject: Re: [O] org-blog 0.9 release
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 06:36:01 -0400

Rafael <address@hidden> writes:
> Thanks a lot for your work! I just tried it and it worked for me, to
> post a basic org-mode file.

Thanks for trying it---it's always nice to hear that it works for
someone else, too.

I'm hopeful that, by having a fairly fleshed-out test suite included, if
it doesn't work for someone, the user and I should be able to track down
the issue fairly easily.

> Are you aware of https://github.com/punchagan/org2blog? It also has
> the purpose to post to wordpress from org, however its author has been
> busy lately, and apparently major work is going to be needed to make
> all its features to work with the new exporter. I hope that you could
> find the time and motivation to make your package deal with:

Yep, I'm aware of org2blog---I even used it for a while.  There were
various things about it for which I did not care, and they seemed fairly
fundamental and unlikely to change.

I suspect writing a blogging addition for org-mode is today's equivalent
of writing your own templating engine for Perl: the bar for entry is low
enough that the slightest disagreement with an existing one is cause for
writing your own. ;)

> - inclusion of image files
> - matematical symbols (that is, wordpress can display LaTeX stuff like
>   $latex a^2+b^2=c^2$ nicely.
> - syntax code highlighting, native to wordpress.

I do want to add more sophisticated content handling capabilities.

Image (or other) attachments is an item I want myself.  While I support
the idea of other, more sophisticated formatting, since I don't have a
direct stake in most of them, I'm not sure what the best way to present
them is.  If org2blog's presentation seems sensible, I will probably
follow that just to be compatible.

Incidentally, I've tagged 0.10 which has converted to the org-8.0
exporter.

In fact, it's probably good that you brought this up now: I do need to
implement some additional processing of the exported content (even when
you present it with full HTML input, where whitespace shouldn't matter,
stupid WordPress inserts line breaks whereever there are newlines).

I figure if I design it correctly, the additional processing should be
extensible to support the sort of rich content you're talking about as
well.

Mike.