Re: [O] Org-mode outside Org-mode

From: Alexander Vorobiev
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode outside Org-mode
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:20:17 -0500

First of all, thank you for the tutorial and the code! Outshine has become
a major component of my workflow, I use it in all my source code buffers (sql, R, elisp).

I have one question/proposal regarding key bindings. Outshine binds TAB
to outshine-cycle-subtree which only does something useful (calls outshine-cycle)
when the point is on a header line, otherwise it prints a message. TAB is used
 heavily in various source code -related modes (yasnippets, smart-tab, etc.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TabCompletion is a great source for those) - the
behavior which I don't want to lose. There is some support of other TAB behaviors in
outline-cycle but it is not used (and it ignores the user-defined bindings).

A while back I wrote a macro (based on the advice in
http://stackoverflow.com/a/2494384/973603) which allows to activate minor mode
bindings when a condition is true and fall back to previous bindings otherwise:

(defmacro define-key-with-fallback (keymap key def condition &optional mode)
 "Define key with fallback. Binds KEY to definition DEF in keymap KEYMAP, the
  binding is active when the CONDITION is true. Otherwise turns MODE off and
  re-enables previous definition for KEY. If MODE is nil, tries to recover it by
  stripping off \"-map\" from KEYMAP name."
  `(define-key ,keymap ,key (lambda () (interactive)
     (if ,condition ,def
       (let* ((,(if mode mode
                     (let* ((keymap-str (symbol-name keymap))
                               (mode-name-end (- (string-width keymap-str) 4)))
                        (if (string= "-map" (substring keymap-str mode-name-end))
                          (intern (substring keymap-str 0 mode-name-end))
                          (error "Could not deduce mode name from keymap name (\"-map\" missing?)")))) nil)
                 (original-func (key-binding ,key)))
           (call-interactively original-func))))))

So now I can just do

(define-key-with-fallback outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "TAB") (outline-cycle 1) (outline-on-heading-p))

and have my yasnippets and smart indentation/completion active again. My question is am I reinventing
the wheel? Is there a function/macro in org-mode or elsewhere that would allow me define key bindings
with fallback?

Thanks again,
Alex