Re: [O] Gentoo ebuild for app-emacs/org-mode-8.0.1

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Gentoo ebuild for app-emacs/org-mode-8.0.1
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:17:16 +0200

Christoph LANGE writes:
> thanks for your improvement suggestions!  Before I put this into
> practice, let me ask some questions.  I am neither an expert in
> distributing Org nor in writing ebuilds yet.

>>> ELISP_REMOVE="lisp/org-install.el"
>>
>> You'll also want to remove org-loaddefs.el and org-version.el.
>
> Why?  Because they will automatically be re-generated during "make
> install", or because they are not necessary unless installing from git?

Yes, because they are auto-generated.  In fact you might want to clear
the whole installation tree to remove files from earlier versions of Org
that have been renamed.

>>>             elisp-install ${PN}/contrib contrib/lisp/*org*.el || die
>>
>> This is wrong if you use ORG_ADD_CONTRIB.  These files are already taken
>> care of by "make install"
>
> OK, which means that I can remove that "elisp-install" line?

I'd think so, but I don't know the exact details of how ebuild works.

>> and contrib should not be added to the load-path
>
> Why not?  Note that this is conditional on the use flag "contrib".  So
> in this case the user has explicitly decided "I want the contributed
> features".

Then your ebuild file is likely defective, since your definition of
ORG_ADD_CONTRIB doesn't seem to be conditional.

>> (it also shouldn't exist as a subdirectory under ${PN}).
>
> Where should it go instead, if anywhere?

Nowhere, the installation includes all the files that you added with
ORG_ADD_CONTRIB right where Org gets installed.  Adding them again
(uncompiled) in a different place is asking for trouble.

Regards,
Achim.