Re: [O] How to use overprint in Beamer export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] How to use overprint in Beamer export
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:25:33 +0200

Hello,

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
> Beamer overprint environment.
>
> Here's the LateX I'd like to produce.
>
>     % latex
>     \begin{frame}[fragile]{The Things}
>     \begin{block}{Things}
>       \begin{description}[<+->]
>       \item[foo] the first thing I want to talk about
>       \item[bar] this is the second, follows the first
>       \item[baz] third and final
>       \end{description}
>     \end{block}
>
>     \begin{overprint}
>       \onslide<1>
>       \begin{block}{Foo}
>         A picture of a ``foo''.
>       \end{block}
>
>       \onslide<2>
>       \begin{block}{Bar}
>         Some text about ``bar''.
>       \end{block}
>
>       \onslide<3>
>       \begin{block}{Baz}
>         Content relevant only to ``baz''.
>       \end{block}
>
>     \end{overprint}
>
>     \end{frame}

As pointed out by Suvayu Ali, you can define a new "overprint"
environment, but it won't provide the "\onslide<...>" macros. You'll
have to rely on "#+beamer: \onslide<...>" keywords.

> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
> heading.

In general, you close a headline with another headline (i.e. a block in
Beamer jargon). You can also close a block with an "ignoreheading"
headline. That's how columns work.

Here is an example:

#+begin_src org
#+BIND: org-beamer-environments-extra (("overprint" "O" "\\begin{overprint}%o"
"\\end{overprint}"))
#+LANGUAGE: en

* The Things

** Things

   #+attr_beamer: :overlay +-
   - foo :: the first thing I want to talk about
   - bar :: this is the second, follows the first
   - baz :: third and final

** Overprint
   :PROPERTIES:
   :beamer_env: overprint